The Importance of Future Farmers of America

FFA’s Influence and Lessons Benefit Many Students at Conestoga

For most of my life, FFA did not mean anything to me. In fact, I had no idea what FFA even stood for. FFA stands for the Future Farmers of America, and Conestoga High School has an amazing FFA program with a lot of tradition.

When explaining what FFA is, you also have to think about what it has personally done for you. FFA is not just a program, it turns into a way of life preparing you for your future, even if it’s not directly related to agriculture. According to the National Website “FFA is not just for students who want to be farmers; FFA also welcomes members who aspire to careers as teachers, doctors, scientists.”

My sophomore year I decided to take an agriculture class. That is when I became interested in, and wanted to be a part of FFA. At first I was afraid to join, and I had no idea what I would be signing up for, but my FFA/Agriculture advisor encouraged me to join. I always wanted to be involved in more school activities so I decided to give it a try. I have always been afraid to try new things and speak in front of people, but my advisor has pushed me, she convinced me to do the Creed which is five paragraphs that you have to memorize.

At Conestoga, FFA serves as a home away from home for many students. There are a lot of Leadership Development Events as well as Career Development Events that students can participate in. FFA members travel all over the place to attend and compete in these events. When you step into a room with hundreds of other FFA members from different schools all over, it makes you feel proud, and worthy of something. You see hundreds of other kids wearing the FFA jacket. That reminds us that we are all a part of something bigger than ourselves.

As FFA members, we attend regular meetings, sometimes eating breakfast together. We spend a lot of time working on our SAE (supervised agricultural experience) projects, preparing for competitions, and just learning about the future of agriculture. Our experiences as FFA members allow us to make a lot of connections in life.

Agriculture is an industry that affects everyone. Students in FFA understand the critical role that agriculture plays not only in their community, but also in their society. “We aren’t just cows and plows. We are leaders and achievers, and servers, teams with dreams.” This quote helps explain the importance of FFA.