Conestoga Band Sets New School Record

Band Earns Superior Rating at Oxbow Marching Competition

twitter.com/C1STOGAmusicdpt

Members of the Conestoga Marching Band celebrate their outstanding performance at the Oxbow Field Marching Competition. The band received a superior rating for their performance, earning the highest score in school history.

ASHLAND, NEB.-In an amazing feat this past weekend, the Conestoga Marching Band, under the direction of Cassi Vallis and drum major Lily Drannen, received a score that blew their minds away!

At 2:00 on Saturday, October 16, the Cougar Marching Band, which consists of 7-12 graders, showed up to the high school for one last rehearsal before their final performance of the 2020 marching band season. The band was preparing for their show at the Oxbow Field Marching Competition, hosted by Ashland-Greenwood High School.

Following the rehearsal, the students loaded onto the bus and were off.

Sophomore Ella Lewis said that when she stepped on the field she was a nervous wreck, but once she started playing the music it was all downhill from there. This feeling was echoed by many of the band members, all the way up to the most devoted seniors.

Seniors Levi Bell, Jasmine Rainey, Lily Drannen, Bridget Wagner and Jessica Poirier pose with their hard-earned trophy alongside director, Cassandra Vallis (Twitter.com/C1STOGAmusicdpt)

Jasmine Rainey, a senior, says, “Standing on the field knowing that we just competed in our last competition ever, it was nerve wracking to find out our scores.” Much like Jasmine, many of the other seniors felt the same way.

“I was really hoping for the best we could get and nothing but that,” said Drannen, the drum major.

When it was all over, the announcer read, “The Conestoga Marching Band receives…” he paused for effect, “Superior!” Upon hearing this, the entire band jumped and screamed with enthusiasm knowing that they had just earned the best score in the history of the Conestoga Marching Band.

Even though the band was not able to compete in as many competitions as they usually do, it was a great, productive season. Fittingly, it ended on a very high note for the Conestoga Jr./Sr. High School Marching Band.