Spooky Stories- Real or Fake?

Murray, Neb- The season of Spooky things is about to come to an end, so to finish off this year’s spooky season here are some stories about ghosts and other strange things that may have taken place near you.

First on our list is “Monkey Mountain” . It is said that if you go to the train tracks near here on a full moon with an odd number of people you may be able to see the monkeys or hear them. You’re probably wondering how the monkeys got there and where this legend came from. In the 19th century a circus train was on the move from one location to another, it was all smooth sailing until the snow became a problem and the circus train crashed leaving all the animals to freeze to death.

Another spooky story, that may be true, is the story of the Alliance Theater, it is said that an actress was performing on stage when a chandelier fell on her. Some also say they hear her rehearsing her lines and once in a while see furniture moving on its own.

Cemeteries all seem spooky and scary but not as scary as the Ball Cemetery in Springfield, it has been around since 1869. This cemetery is where a lot of ghost sightings are reported, some even say a ghost likes to pull on visitors’ clothes.

The Witches Bridge in Weeping Water is another eerie legend. It is believed that once a witch hung herself on that bridge, and if you go there on an odd number night with an odd number of people and stare into the water you can see your reflection hanging in the water. Don’t stare for too long though, or the witch will come and drag you in the water to never be seen again.

In Plattsmouth there is a ghost named Hannah, it is said that back in the 1800’s Hannah got pregnant as a teenager and her family was not happy so they drowned the baby in the Missouri River. Hannah then died of a broken heart and was buried in a field. People say you can hear her crying for her baby, and maybe you’ll see a lantern floating around in the fields. Stories say that snow will never appear on the place she was buried.