Santa Claus Around The World

Murray, NEB- Christmas is celebrated worldwide in many unique ways. The traditional American Christmas is a combination of many cultures. Santa Claus, the figurehead of Christmas, is also different in other countries.

United States, Canada, and United Kingdom: Santa Claus/Father Christmas
Santa Claus/Father Christmas wears a red suit and drives a reindeer-pulled sleigh. He comes down the chimney Christmas Eve and leaves presents for children under a Christmas tree and in their stockings by the fireplace. It is common for families to leave him a glass of milk and warm cookies along with carrots for his reindeer. In the UK, people traditionally leave out a mince pie and whiskey for Santa.

France: Père Noël
In France, Père Noël delivers presents on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day. He dresses very similarly to Santa Claus. In the east of France, Le Père Fouettard accompanies him. He dresses in black and punishes children if they misbehave.

Spain/South America: Papa Noel
Papa Noel gives out presents on Christmas Eve. In South America, a family member often dresses up as Papa Noel and gives gifts to the children while they try to guess who it is. El Niñito Dios (Jesus) might bring the presents in Mexico and Venezuela instead of Papa Noel.

Dutch Countries: Sinterklaas
“Sinterklaas” is celebrated in several European countries, but each has different traditions. They typically hold festivals to celebrate Sinterklaas and the holiday season. In the Netherlands, Sinterklaas is an elderly man who rides his horse on rooftops. His helpers put gifts into the shoes of children.

Germany: Weihnachtsmann (Christmas Man)
The Christmas season in Germany starts with Nikolaustag (St. Nicholas Day) on December 6th. St. Nicholas comes at night and puts presents in children’s shoes the evening before. In some parts of Germany, das Christkind (Christ child) brings presents on Christmas Eve. In other parts of the country, der Weihnachtsmann (Santa Claus) is the one who brings presents to the children. Traditionally, Germans open their presents on Christmas Eve rather than Christmas Day.

Italy: Babbo Natale (Daddy Christmas)
In Italy, Babbo Natale delivers presents at Christmas. They are opened either on Christmas Eve or on Christmas morning. La Befana, a witch, arrives on January 5th to bring small gifts, sweets, and dried fruits in the socks of good children.

Portugal and Brazil: Papai Noel/Pai Nata (Father Christmas)
In some parts of Brazil, children leave a sock near a window so Papai Noel can exchange it for a present. In Portugal, Pai Nata brings presents to children on Christmas Eve and leaves them under the Christmas tree or in shoes by the fireplace. In both countries, families open presents on Christmas Eve after Midnight Mass or on Christmas morning.

Russian: Дед Мороз – Ded Moroz (Grandfather Frost)
Russia celebrates Orthodox Christmas on January 7th. People also exchange presents on New Year’s Eve. Ded Moroz brings presents with the help of his granddaughter, Snegurka. Traditionally, children circle the Christmas tree and call for Ded Moroz and Snegurka. When they appear, the lights on the tree turn on.

Poland: Święty Mikołaj (Saint Nicholas)
In Poland, Święty Mikołaj brings presents. Children open them after Christmas Eve supper. In the east, Dziadek Mróz (the same as Ded Moroz in Russia) brings the gifts. In western and northern Poland, Gwiazdor (the starman) delivers them.