Chinese New Year

Photo by Vlad Vasnetsov on Pexels

Murry, NEB- The Chinese New Year is a very important holiday in Chinese culture. In Chinese it is commonly referred to as the “Spring Festival.” The Chinese New Year is associated with many myths and customs.

The myths behind the Chinese New Year…Chinese New Year started with a beast called the Nian. The Nian would eat villagers, especially little children, in the middle of the night. Then one year they all decided to hide from this beast, but an old man decided to stay to get revenge on the Nian. So the old man set up red papers and firecrackers. The next morning when the villagers had returned, they found nothing destroyed. They assumed the man was a deity who came to save them, but it turns out the beast was just afraid of loud noises and the color red. Then came the tradition that every year they would set up red lanterns, wear red clothes, and use firecrackers and fireworks. From then on the villagers had never seen the Nian again.

Chinese New Year’s Eve…One their New Year’s Eve they make a rather large feast, a feast that would be comparable to a Thanksgiving feast. They also make their New Year’s offering at this time.

The New Year is very important for people to be with their families, if they work abroad or far away they travel back to their home to stay with their family. In China, this is known as Chun Yun or it can also be known as “Moving in the Spring.”