Little Free Pantry Plattsmouth

Kimberly Louann Thomas

Murray, NEB- Little Free Pantry, “take what you need, give what you can.” The mini pantry movement initiates neighbor engagement with food insecurity. The mini pantry movement is a community, crowdsourced solution to prompt local needs. Whether a need for food or a need to give, mini pantries help feed neighbors, nourishing neighborhoods. Twenty-nine percent of those experiencing food do not qualify for federal nutrition programs.

Jessica Mclard started this nonprofit mini pantry movement in May 2016 in Fayetteville, Ark. When she started out, it was a wooden box on a post containing food, personal care, and paper items that were accessible to anyone within the community. She hoped to have a spin-off on the Little Free Library concept while creating a space for neighbors in need.

In real life, you can help out by shopping, giving, and building. You can purchase food, personal care, and paper items. Then put them inside your mini neighborhood pantry. You can even get together with your friend and build one. On social media you can share, subscribe, and give. You can like and share mini pantry movement-related social media. You can even sign up for a newsletter. The Little Free Pantry website has a mini of the week, there’s a chance that you could be featured!

Luckily, we have a Free Little Plattsmouth pantry. The pantry is located at 602 Oakmont Dr. There has been a Facebook page started by Mona Reza Beltran. The Facebook page is public and there are over 1,000 members. There are three posts a week to update the members throughout the community, such as anonymous posts, photos, videos, and polls.

The Facebook page has mentioned a Free Little Toy Box that is located on 1209 3rd Ave, Plattsmouth, Neb. Plattsmouth community member, Adam Sylvester, has a set up in his garage you can walk through and see what’s available. In his post, he states to take what you need but don’t resell them. “This is to enrich our community, not your bank account”, Sylvester states in his post. Throughout the year you can leave what you can and take what you need. If you ever need anything special, Sylvester states on the page, let them know and he can see what they are able to get that might not be available in the bins.

Twenty-nine percent of those experiencing food insecurity do not qualify for federal nutrition programs. Add your neighborhood mini pantry here!