Cleaning Up the Community: Keep Cass County Beautiful

Courtesy: Dana Stahl
Courtesy: Dana Stahl

Cass County, NEB- Keep Cass County Beautiful is a nonprofit organization that provides environmental services for Cass County. The organization was formed in 2012, since its formation their main initiative in Cass County has been littler cleanups in Cass County.

Last year, KCCB removed over 2,000 pounds of litter from roadways, parks, and other public land through 40 cleanups. Most of the litter from these cleanups are sorted and recycled so as little as possible enters the landfills. Members of the organization find many cans, bottles, glass and cardboard that can be recycled.

Studies have shown that cleaner neighborhoods have increased Real Estate values which brings in tax dollars for the school. Having active litter clean ups around the communities gives students an easy, meaningful way to do something great in their community to make the world a little better of a place. “Removing litter from roads not only makes our county look more beautiful and is healthier for the soil, water, animals and humans but also the absence of litter makes it more attractive for people looking for a place to live and for residents to enjoy,” states director of KCCB, Dana Stahl.

For anyone who wants to do a cleanup in Cass County, whether an individual person or group, KCCB can supply them with litter cleanup supplies. KCCB will pay groups that would like to earn funds for their school or organization, the rate is $75 per mile or $15 per acre. “It’s truly a win-win, they do something awesome (cleaning up litter) AND raise funds for their group. I have attached our flier for our additional programs we have for litter cleanups,”says Stahl.

KCCB has a 365 day litter challenge, Adopt a Spot, Paws on Plastic and individual litter cleanups. They also have the LLK (Library Litter Kit) program where anyone can check out a bucket from Weeping Water or Plattsmouth Library. The bucket contains everything needed for a cleanup instead of having to coordinate directly with KCCB.

KCCB has the goal to have 40 cleanups in 2024, so far they have had about 10. “It is our hope that it makes it even easier for individuals or families to clean up litter,” exclaims Stahl.