Uncovering Nature’s Beauty

Image by 12019 from Pixabay

Murray, NEB- National Park Week 2024 is from Saturday, April 20 to Sunday, April 28. On the first day of National Park Week, you will not have to pay an entrance fee into any national park. Each day of the week also has a theme. They are discovery, volunteers, Earth Day, innovation, workforce Wednesday, youth engagement, community connections, junior ranger day, and arts in parks. It may be surprising, but there are five national parks in Nebraska that you might want to visit this National Park Week. Here are things to do at each park:

Agate Fossil Beds National Park- Here you can see fossils of 23 million year old mammals. There are life size displays of ancient, extinct mammals that lived in Nebraska. You can even see up close at what a waterhole would’ve looked like millions of years ago. There is a large collection of ancient Indian artifacts and insight on the troubling history between the U.S. and Northern Plains tribes. During summer there are two trails to hike and explore. They may not be open yet but you will be taken to ancient sites and natural wetlands of the Niobrara River.

Homestead National Historical Park- This park mainly focuses on learning and history. There are many hands-on activities to make your visit fun. There are walking trails to learn about the pioneers and what they experienced.

Niobrara National Scenic River- This park is overflowing with nature. Water activities like tubing and boating are the most popular but hiking and wildlife watching are an option too. The waterfalls and rapids are a more thrilling activity along with scenic views. Fishing is another large attraction here. With 76 miles of river, there are many species of fish to catch.

Scotts Bluff National Monument- The main activity is the hour long drive to the summit of the monument. The drive is very scenic with interesting geology. There are also four miles of trail to hike. It is available every season. There are ways to learn the history of the Oregon Trail and Westward expansion.

Missouri National Recreational River- Like the Niobrara River, tubing, boating, and fishing are common activities. There is also hiking and camping available. The area is quite scenic so driving around is a relaxing and nice plan. Canoeing or kayaking is something you can do that’s a little more work but can also be exciting. You can make a whole weekend out of this park and do everything on your own time.