Conestoga Stories Through Students' Eyes

The Prowl

The Prowl

The Prowl

Local Little Free Library

Image by kwhitt from Pixabay

There are over 150,000 registered Little Free Libraries in the world, you most likely have one near you and you just don’t know it. Little Free Libraries can be seen most prominently in someone’s front lawn near a street or sidewalk. They can be found in parks and businesses like coffee shops as well!

Little Free Libraries are known as a “take a book, share a book” free book exchange. The goal is to build communities, inspire readers, and expand book access throughout the world through the help of volunteers. They come in many different shapes and sizes but they are most commonly seen as a small wooden box of books. On the website, you can order pre-made little libraries so it is easier to set up in your community. For help to start your own Little Free Library, check out the instruction video on the website.

There is a Little Free Library world map locator that shows the different libraries not only in your community but around the world as well. Within the Murray and Plattsmouth community, there are two registered libraries. There are many more libraries that are not registered within the Free Little Library organization but they are still giving back to the community.

The Plattsmouth Little Free Library is known for its easy access. The more accessible the Little Library is, the more new books there will be. The person who is running this library goes by Bridgett Miller. The charter number differs by each library, the character number registered for the one in Plattsmouth is #176324. This library is located at 147 Debra Ave., Plattsmouth, Neb. On the website, Miller states that, ”I want a place where anyone who wants to read could get free books without having the obligation to return them. I live in a small community and have a lot of interest and already have four donors!”

The Free Little Library in Murray, is known as “Hayes Free Little Library.” The charter number registered for this library is #129190.The library is located on 103 E High Street, Murray, Neb.

For further information check out the website: https://littlefreelibrary.org/.