All Students Should Participate in Extracurricular Activities

Extracurricular Activities Build Friendships, Character, and are Something that Every Student Should Partake in.

Brent Hardin

The cast of Conestoga’s one-act “No Problem” pose following a performance. Extracurricular activities, like one-act, give students opportunities to grow in their skills and relationships while in high school.

MURRAY, NEB.–Participating in extracurricular activities has many benefits and should be required. Extracurricular activities are activities that take place outside of your normal school curriculum. Prime examples of these activities are sports, fine arts and organizations, such as FFA and FBLA. Many students argue that extracurricular activities are distracting them from doing their work, but, little do they know, extracurricular activities teach you how to manage your time and help increase your brain function.

Extracurricular activities can help you reach and maintain a higher self-esteem. Many sports and activities have competitive goals behind them. When, and if, you accomplish goals in regards to your activities, you help boost your confidence level.

Making friends and memories are one of the most important things in high school. Extracurricular activities are a great way to make these new friends and memories. Many activities also increase your social skills and help you with your networking skills. All of these traits and skills are vital to being successful in life beyond high school.

Extracurricular activities are also great opportunities for receiving scholarships and having future success in your field of choice. Not only can your performance and skills bring these opportunities, but qualities such as hard work, leadership and dedication can also greatly benefit your success and social skills in the “real world”.

Though extracurricular activities can be time consuming, the benefits from being involved in your activity are endless. Putting thought into your schedule and working with a team or group for an extended period of time greatly influences how you will be able to deal with those situations later on in life.

Extracurricular activities are some of the most beneficial undertakings that a student can participate in. All students should give extracurriculars a try, and take advantage of the opportunities at hand.