FBLA State Conference

What happened at the FBLA state conference.

The Conestoga FBLA members take a photo at the State Leadership Conference. (Courtesy of Mr. Brokaw)
John M., Makenzie J., and Callie T. pose for a photo with their awards from the SLC. (Mr. Brokaw)

Murray, NEB- The FBLA state conference, or State Leadership Conference, was on April 11 through 13. Seventeen out of 30 Conestoga FBLA student members attended this conference in Kearney, Neb. At this event, students get to choose which events they would like to participate in and what seminars they can go to. Some events include Job Interview, 3-D Animations, Cyber Security, Business Law, etc.

Conestoga’s FBLA members did well resulting in John M. with a third place in Journalism and seventh place in Political Science, Makenzie J. earned fourth place for Agribusiness and Callie T. received Honorable Mention for Introduction Parliamentary Procedure. John M. said, “This was my first time going to the SCL so I didn’t really know what to expect… I certainly hoped for the best, but never really imagined that I would get third place in the state in an event and qualify to represent Nebraska at the national level.” This year was different for many of the students due to last year being a virtual conference and the year prior was in Omaha, Neb.

“This event creates a way for students to be competitive and become strong leaders.” Jeffrey Brokaw, the FBLA coach, said, “…students were exposed to a bunch of new experiences and challenges to force them to grow as leaders, career preparation, and networking.” This conference helps students show what they know, learn new things and vote. SLC votes for new state officers for FBLA. The candidates had campaign booths and they answered questions on how they would help FBLA, prior to the voting.

Overall, this event was helpful to the students and allowed them to grow. John M. will be competing at nationals while his team cheers him on from home. These students have learned new things and will be more prepared for their futures. “I’m so proud of myself and our chapter for working hard and winning some awards… I encourage anyone who is thinking about becoming more involved to just get out there and do it,” said Callie T.