Conestoga Recognizes Excellence in the Arts

Annual Fine Arts Awards Night Held at Conestoga

Murray, NEB.- The school year is coming to a close, and as it wraps up, the remaining time is being taken to honor and acknowledge the accomplishments of students at Conestoga Jr./Sr. High School. Last night, May 4, was the annual fine arts awards ceremony. Students participating and achieving excellence in the art, music, speech, and drama programs at the school were recognized for their contributions and some were given awards.

Jesse Swantek spoke first about the art program. Student art was displayed in the back for people to view as they left. Addie P. was recognized for her numerous accomplishments including being awarded a Gold Key, winning a Nebraska Young Artist Award and being named Outstanding Artist of the Conference. Malin W., an exchange student from Switzerland, was also recognized for her success as she brought home a first place award for her circular teapot. Heather F. received a shoutout for her second place finish in pencil drawing and many other of Conestoga’s young artists also got well deserved recognition.

Then Jessica Schlichtemeier took to the podium to talk about speech and one act. One act had received their first win at a festival since she began coaching. Delaney D. received a peer voted award for her lead role in this year’s play, “Ago”. Ella L. was given an award for her role as a supporting actor, Mackenzie J. was acknowledged for her work as an ensemble member going above and beyond to be a temporary fill in at one point and Bella B. was recognized for her dedication to the program working behind the scenes on crew. Speech also saw a measure of success sending one student to state and having many top finishes at districts. There is one junior high meet still left to go on Friday, May 6.

Ending out the event was Cassi Vallis to speak about the numerous opportunities for participation in music that students take part in. Students were validated for their involvement in guitar as well as junior high and high school band and choir. Students voted on many awards, both serious and fun for their classmates. Some seniors also received national awards that were decided on by Vallis. The National Marcher Award went to Keaghan C. The Leonard Bernstein award was given to Morgan M. Shelby C. received the Choral Scholar award. And Daniel C. earned the John Philip Sousa Award for superior musicianship.

The fine arts are an important part of the Conestoga community. Recognizing students who achieve excellence in them is equally important. This year’s fine arts awards night showcased some amazing talent. Some of those students are graduating. Some will continue to do great things at Conestoga. Either way, Conestoga is proud of what they have accomplished and eager to see what they will do next.