Jayden S to Selected to Youth Senate Program in DC

Murray, NEB – Jayden S was selected to join Senator Deb Fischer in representing Nebraska during the 61st annual United States Senate Youth Program (USSYP) along with one other student from Nebraska. Jayden will be taking a trip to Washington, D.C, and will also be receiving a $10,000 scholarship for undergraduate study.

The purpose of this program, according to the Senate Youth Program press release, is to “increase young Americans’ understanding of the interrelationships of the three branches of government, learn the caliber and responsibilities of federally elected and appointed officials, and emphasize the vital importance of democratic decision making not only for America but for people around the world.”

Jayden began an application towards this program over the summer. The application compiled essays on leadership, community involvement, student interests and civic understandings. Principal Giese signed off in late September and delivered the application to the Nebraska Department of Education. In November, Jayden was interviewed by a panel, marking him one of the five final candidates. Jayden says he is really looking forward to participating in the program. He’s not only excited for the opportunity to meet high level officials in our government but also the students from around the country that share the same interests as him.

Jayden is a senior at Conestoga High School who serves as the Student Council President. To help out his classmates at Conestoga, he has worked with the school administration and Board of Education on the school’s dress code. Although he was not fully successful he demonstrated an impressive spirit of compromise and worked diligently to represent the student body. He also successfully sought to have a student representative on the school board.
In addition, Jayden works in other capacities including a member of the Students Demand Action national Advisory Board, Conestoga’s Mock Trial team and the schools Speech and Debate teams.

Jayden plans on studying political science after highschool and to enter a career in politics or elected office. He believes that this opportunity will allow him to gain new insight into the institutions and to network with others who are entering the same field.