Ready to Rumble

Wrestling Team Looks to Continue Success in 2020-21

Olivia Priefert

Seniors Braden Ruffner and Cameron Williams look to cap off their remarkable careers with state medals in hand. They are joined by junior Keaghon Chini as returning state qualifiers entering the 2020-21 season.

MURRAY, NEB.–With fall sports ending, the students of Conestoga Jr./Sr. High School are getting hyped for winter sports to begin. The excitement is especially strong around the wrestling program.

Last year, Conestoga wrestlers had historic success, placing sixth as a team in the state dual tournament, and sending seven wrestlers to the individual state tournament. Of those seven state qualifiers, three earned state medals. The wrestlers have built a strong reputation over the years, and they look to continue building on that this season.

Conditioning for the wrestling team began in late October. The team has been doing work on the track and on the mat. Conditioning on the track teaches the wrestlers how to act in an explosive way and it also teaches them how to push themselves to not give up.

“I’ve been really impressed with how it’s going so far. We’ve got a ton of new faces. Sometimes when that happens those faces only show up for one day, and they figure out it’s kinda hard and decide not to come back. We really haven’t had that this year,” said Head Coach Sean Trampe.

Trampe also said the wrestlers have been consistent. Most have been great about being there and working hard every day.

Senior leader Cameron Williams has been proud of the team so far. He enjoys seeing new faces in the wrestling room, as well as seeing everyone work hard.

This year, Williams says his biggest challenge is Covid. “All the regulations and changes that are happening and that are going to continue to happen have really thrown me off. I think overcoming those things will help push all the negative out of my head and I can just focus on winning,” said Williams.

Sophomore Destiny Epp is the only girl on the Conestoga wrestling team this year. She says “It’s very interesting being the only girl on the team. Yes I get many strange looks, but it’s kinda cool.” This is the first time she has competed on a high school sports team. Epp really likes that she chose to wrestle, even though she says the conditioning is pretty difficult.

The team kicks off their season on Dec. 3 at home in a dual against Lincoln Christian.

Even though this season might be a struggle in many ways, the team will be thankful for the opportunities they have and give their best effort every time out.

Follow the wrestling team on Twitter (@stoga_wrestling) and Instagram (stogawrestling)