Conestoga Stories Through Students' Eyes

The Prowl

The Prowl

The Prowl

Conestoga Hoops

Conestoga+Hoops

Murray, NE- The Conestoga girls basketball team is almost through their season and competed in their first conference tournament game. To prepare for the competition Coach Skiles says, “We work on fundamentals every day in practice and develop a game plan for the opponent.” On Saturday, Jan. 20, the team traveled out to Logan View to battle with the Raiders.

The game tipped off at 2 p.m.,Conestoga’s starters were Alyssa B, Ayla G, Davida G, Grace R and Ella T. In the first quarter Logan View outscored Conestoga 16 to 4. Coach Skiles says, “When we are down in the game the players have great motivation to keep improving.” After the quarter break the Cougars came out stronger and scored 13 points to Logan View’s 9 points.

During the second half the Cougars put up good numbers with 19 points scored in the half. Although the Cougars kept up their fight, Logan View came out on top with a score of 36-55. The Cougars leading scorers were Ayla G with 13 points and 11 rebounds and Davida G with 10 points and 6 rebounds. Skiles said, ”Our team is very young, mostly freshmen, so it is hard going up against juniors and seniors, but our team is improving.”

The conference tournament is not over yet and Conestoga has their second game on Thursday, Jan. 24 at Syracuse high school. For the upcoming game on Thursday freshman Izzy B said, “I think that if we communicate with each other and put in a lot of effort then we have a chance of success.”