Girls Sub-District Wrestling

Prowl+Photographer
Prowl Photographer

Murray, NE- The Conestoga Girls Wrestling team competed in Sub-Districts, on Saturday, Feb. 3. The team traveled all the way to Perkins County, NE for their Girls 4-b Sub-Districts. The team faced opponents from 20 other teams from all over Nebraska.The girls team sent nine competitors to wrestle for the chance to compete in districts, three others could not compete due to injury.

In the first round Sophia L, Lillian A, Cydney V and Gabby L were all pinned and they headed to the consolation side of the bracket. Multiple wrestlers did find success in the first round of the tournament. Alex P, Kyler Z, Morgan H, Maggie F and Allee Jo I pinned their competitors for a first round win. After their first match Allee Jo I and Morgan H automatically qualified for districts.
Alex P, Maggie F, Gabby L, and Kyler Z all won their later matches to make it to districts.

Although Sophia L, Lillian A and Cydney V did not qualify for the district tournament, coach Rob Everett has good things to say about all three of them. “Sophia finished strong and is going to be a beast next year. Lillian did a great job becoming a more technical wrestler, her future is bright with her work ethic. Cydney, who battled with a rib injury all year, soaked up a ton of knowledge and that showed up on the mat with her technique,” Coach Rob said.

The Conestoga Girls Wrestling team had a very successful sub-districts sending 6 wrestlers, Alex P, Kyler Z, Morgan H, Maggie F, Gabby L, and Allee Jo II to districts. Coach Rob said, “I knew going into the tournament we could qualify a majority of the team, I made a deal with the team that if 6 qualified, I would let them pick out earrings for me.” Conestoga is wishing these 6 good luck as they go and compete on Friday, Feb. 9 at Broken Bow High School.