Sub District Basketball

Prowl Photographer

Murray, NEB- The Conestoga Girls Basketball team finished their season in Platteview facing Falls City in sub districts. Both teams were scoring back and forth in the first half keeping it a close game. Unfortunately for the Cougars, after halftime the Tigers were one step ahead of them. With the outcome of 28-47, the Cougars fall short ending their season while the Tigers advance to districts.

On the other hand, the Conestoga Boys Basketball team had their first game in sub districts on Tuesday Feb, 13. They hosted the Palmyra Panthers. Starting off the game neck and neck, both teams scored back and forth. In the third quarter the Cougars got the lead until the end of the game with a score of 69-35 . Head Coach Jason Ahrens complimented them by saying “They played well, I liked the energy and effort and it was nice to see everyone on the bench suited up.”

Coming off a win the Cougars played Lincoln Christian Thursday Feb, 15. From the first whistle to the last, both sides of the gym were on the edge of their seats. The first quarter Lincoln Christian was on top, but it did not stop Conestoga from scoring, making the end of the first half close with Lincoln Christian up only by a couple points. Coming into the game after halftime both teams were finding the hoop. In the last few minutes of the game, the Cougars were up by one, then the Crusaders scored and then they were ahead. Then the Cougars scored again, and stopped the Crusaders from throwing the ball in and got another basket. Ending a very intense and enticing game 68-67 advancing them to districts. Coach Ahrens commented “Last night was the school record for wins in a season (21) and the senior class had one more game than any other class in their four years.”

Heading into districts, the boys prepared by watching film, having practices over the weekend leading up to the game on Monday Feb, 26 to prepare physically and mentally. The spirit bus to Kearney was filled with band, cheer, dance and members of Cougar Mania to cheer on the basketball team. The Cougars kept up with the Ogallala Indians in the first half, but fell short in the second half to end the game 42-77. Even though they lost, the Cougars had a great season with a record of 21-4 and is the furthest a team has gone in their postseason.