Conestoga College Week is Back

Conestoga’s College Week is Still Kicking in the Midst of the Pandemic.

Laurel Kreifels

Conestoga seniors participate in an Apply2College event during college week (Sept. 29-Oct. 2).

Murray, Neb.–This past homecoming week had a little bit more to it than just the usual homecoming festivities. It took place at the same time as Conestoga’s annual college week.

College week has been a Conestoga tradition since EducationQuest began sponsoring the Apply2college campaign. In this program, Nebraska schools are encouraged to select one or more days during the month of October to teach about college and encourage seniors to apply.

Several activities take place during college week, including a financial aid presentation and an apply to college event for the senior class. Additionally, a “KnowHow2Go to college” activity for all students in grades 7-12 takes place during the Cougar Connections block.

Conestoga typically also has a day where students are encouraged to wear a college shirt to school. Those who participate can then be entered into a drawing for the chance to win a $15 gift card to a local restaurant.

Due to the coronavirus, the scavenger hunt that typically happens on one of the days has been replaced with a different opportunity to win prizes. Students who post a picture of a college campus or mascot to guidance counselor Laurel Kreifels’s twitter page (@ConestogaCouns) were entered into another drawing for a gift card.

Another College Week tradition that fell victim to the Covid-19 pandemic this year was the college fair. This is an opportunity for students to meet representatives from regional colleges and learn about their institutions.

Another opportunity, strictly for seniors, is filling out a college application. They have until Oct. 15 to complete applications. Each submitted application gives them one entrance into a drawing to win a prize.

Laurel Kreifels

This year’s college week appears, unlike many other things, to be largely unaffected by the coronavirus, with the exceptions of the college fair and scavenger hunt. It is still going strong, as it continues to be a wonderful way to teach students about college and encourage them to apply.