Conestoga Stories Through Students' Eyes

The Prowl

The Prowl

The Prowl

Conestoga Students Take on Public Speaking

Prowl Photographer
John M. presents a speech during the 2022-2023 season.

Murray, NEB- The Conestoga speech team is back with its 2023-2024 season. Members will have their first official practice on Wednesday, Dec 6. Due to the multiple activities the team is involved in, practices are run whenever it works best for the individual. Mondays and Wednesdays are mainly blocked out for longer team practices. Individual event practices usually run for about 30 minutes, while group events practices last between an hour or an hour and a half. The official competition season starts in January.

The Conestoga speech team is still forming but they currently have 14 members and if anyone is interested in joining they should go see coach Schlictemeier. Conestoga Freshman Layla F. states, “ I’m excited about speech this year to try something new, and further my public speaking skills.” Even though competitions start in January, the team will travel to one meet in December if people are ready. In the first few weeks of March there will be two meets per week. If any of the members make it to state it will be held on March 21 at Kearney High School.

This year students have the ability to compete in 10 different events and can enter three for districts. Most of the team has confirmed they plan on being triple entered throughout the season which will help the team be more competitive for districts. Although the team will attend 15 meets this season, an individual speaker can only speak at 12. “ Students can basically build their own schedule based on their availability and personal goals,” speech coach Schlitemeier says. The team also has the ability to compete at the national level at the National Individual Events Tournament of Champions May 10-12 at Bellevue West.