Conestoga Stories Through Students' Eyes

The Prowl

The Prowl

The Prowl

New Student Board Member

Murray, NEB- Several weeks ago, students had an opportunity to apply for a position as student school board member. Out of all the qualified applicants, John McConnell was appointed by the Conestoga School Board in a confidential vote, similar to how retiring board members are replaced.

In 2022, former Conestoga student Jayden Speed spoke and convinced the board to adopt Policy 2015. Policy 2015 outlines the reason for having a student board member, the responsibilities and the role of one. McConnell will serve a term of one school year, beginning on September 1 and ending on June 1. He will be required to attend all board meetings, except executive and closed sessions.

Allison Welch, head of the school board says they have enjoyed having a student representative serve alongside them. She envisions McConnell will also take on the role of legislative liaison, as the previous student board member did. His duties would be to update the board on issues that affect schools, like new laws over what educational material can be taught or disciplinary action.

This year, McConnell will represent his peers as the student board member. He is a senior and is passionate about government and politics. McConnell is involved in many school activities. He partakes in speech, one act, band, mock trial, Future Business Leader of America, journalism, National Junior Honor Society and student council. “I’m excited to represent student interests as much as I can when anything comes up that impacts them.”