The 2023 Marching Band Takes on a New Beat

The Prowl Photographer

Murray, NEB- The Cougar Marching Band earned 2nd place at the Applejack parade on Sept. 16, 2023.They marched through Nebraska City just as they had practiced and solidified the 2nd place spot. The band has put in many hours to get to where they are in the season. The band has been working on their music and marching skills since band camp in July. During band camp, the students worked on music, marching, working together, memorizing music, finding rhythms and learning counts.

Band camp was a significant time for the beginning of the marching season. This is when members not only learn the importance of a band but to be a band family. In a band, members need to work together and listen to other instruments’ sounds. Listening to everybody’s sound makes the music come together and sound like a full band. In camp, the band also memorizes their music and fieldshow for the season. The music for this year is Great Balls of Fire, Let It Go and Firework. The percussionists also have a solo of Ice Ice Baby.Currently they are working on completing the field show with both music and moves.

On Friday, Oct. 6, the band will perform the entire halftime show for the home football game and will kick off the competition season on Wednesday, Oct. 4 at the Palmyra Blues festival.