The Powerlifting Season’s Last Rep

Mr. Quick
Lydia H competing.

Murray. NEB- Conestoga Jr/Sr High sent four people to Omaha Central for an annual powerlifting competition, which would be the last meet of the season.Conestoga previously had a powerlifting state champion, Lydia H, who gives an overview on powerlifting as a whole.

“Powerlifting is a competitive sport where you lift. You have to participate in the squat, bench press, and deadlift. You get three tries with your lift with a one rpr, a reflexive performance reset, for it to be totaled at the end. The way scoring works is that the judges take your largest weights, or counted lifts, and they total them all for your final lifts. Whoever had the largest number with all their weight added together, wins. Like wrestling, you have to weigh in and find who else is in your weight bracket to see your competition. There’s boys and girls.”

When asking a first year powerlifter about the experience, this is what Caleb A had to say about it. “I didn’t place very well for my first year, but I still had fun. I hit 250 on my deadlift and I’m very proud of that. Seeing my school mates around me doing their best on their lifts motivated me a lot. Overall, it was really fun and it’s just a really good community.”

Sophomore Gavin H talks about how everyone did at the final season’s competition. “Everyone did pretty good this year, Lydia got top five and everyone else got around top 15. There was a lot of heavy lifting there, so there was good competition for everyone,” says powerlifter Gavin H. “I think everyone will get better over time, hitting new personal records and growing more muscle. The next powerlifting season will be better for everyone.”

“I can’t wait for next season and to see who all joins the powerlifting community!” says Lydia H.