Cougar Pride Paws

Murray, NEB- Conestoga Jr/Sr High School started a program called Cougar Pride Paws. They are awarded to students with great character who follow the Cougar Traits: respect, responsibility, safety, and positivity. When teachers see a kid who is representing Conestoga well, they can give them a Pride Paw that they can put into a drawing. When the winners get called, they get to choose from a variety of prizes to brighten up their day.

“Students get very excited when their name is called on Friday, and many love being able to choose their prize,” says Shannon Conant, one of the directors of the Cougar Pride Paws.

At first the only prize offered was ice cream and while people enjoyed this, the PBIS team made a decision that the kids needed options. During October, students could choose from a slice of pizza, a noodle party for their table, ice cream, a pickle, or a snowcone. During the PBIS meetings they discuss new prizes each month. For November these include a popcorn party for your Cougar Connections, ability to wear a hat for the week, a ten minute early dismissal for the week, a luxury lunch for your table served by Conant, and ability to be first in line for lunch all week. The team also loves to get student suggestions for prizes so you are able to share your ideas with Conant or drop them in the baskets at lunch.

“I think that the Cougar Pride Paws provide a fun way to promote positive behaviors in students,” says a director of the program, Mark Skiles.

Not only have Pride Paws been great motivation for students to keep up their good act and be responsible, but it has also changed the culture and school environment. Skiles and Conant agree that this program has improved relationships between students and staff because it shows kids that their effort in school is appreciated.