Read Across America- Elementary Edition

Image by Lubos Houska from Pixabay

Murray, NEB- On Saturday, March 2, 2024, Read Across America Day was commemorated in honor of Dr. Suess’ birthday. Read Across America Day celebrates the power of literacy to expand our minds and our understanding of the world around us according to The White House. Conestoga Elementary School did something special to commemorate.

The elementary school was involved in a One School One Book activity. There was an assembly to kick off the reading within a two week span. In every class, teachers read the book called “8 Class Pets + 1 Squirrel Divided By 1 Dog = Chaos” by Vivian Vande Velde. Each day teachers were asked to read certain pages/chapters to their class.

“8 Class Pets + 1 Squirrel Divided By 1 Dog = Chaos” is an educational children’s book. Twitch the squirrel runs into the school to escape an owl. The door locked and an angry dog started chasing him. Twitch needs help from the classroom pets to get back home in the trees. Each chapter is told from a different animal’s point of view as the squirrel works his way through the school, visiting each classroom and trying to stay one step ahead of the rpincapl’s menacing dog cuddles.

The students participated in activities that collaborated with the book. Classes were given a bingo board that listed tasks to complete over the two weeks. Every grade level was given one of the class pets as their “adopted pet” as they read. “Fourth grade was given a parrot as a pet,” states the elementary teacher Jennifer Mandeville.

After each day of reading, a trivia question was announced over the loudspeaker the next morning. Each class would answer and post their response in the cafeteria.“My class’s favorite activity was the trivia questions – especially since we won the Ice Cream party from answering the questions,” exclaims Mandeville.

“We also enjoyed reading the book, and knowing everyone else was too,” says Mandeville.